Tampa home builders know the care and love that goes into each decision that makes a house a home from designing plans to selecting cabinets. Whether you plan on spending your holiday welcoming guests into your own home or traveling to spend time with family and friends, here are some helpful tips to keep your home safe this Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately, there are more home fires on Thanksgiving than on any other holiday. Here are some tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to keep your home safe from fire damage:
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
- Do not leave children unattended near candles.
- Check your oven and burners frequently, and do not leave the house while they are on. Remove any residue from burners that could burn.
- Make sure that all smoke alarms are working properly.
- While they result in one tasty turkey, the NFPA discourages the use of gas turkey fryers.
If your home will be empty for the Thanksgiving holiday, here are some tips on making sure that your home is safe so that you can have some peace of mind and enjoy your time away!
- Stop all mail and newspaper deliveries the day before you leave and resume them the day after you return. Piles of mail are a tell-tale sign that no one is home.
- Similarly, ask a trustworthy friend or neighbor to make sure that fliers and coupons aren’t piling up on your doorstep.
- If you are comfortable, also ask them to move your car a few times so that it looks like you are coming and going every now and then.
- Put lights on both the interior and exterior on timers.
- Do not post travel plans to social media.
From all of us at Javic Homes, we wish you and your family a Happy (and safe) Thanksgiving!