When it comes to holiday weekends, Labor Day is lost on me. Please don’t misunderstand, I appreciate the long weekend. After all it’s been several weeks since July 4th so I’m ready for an extended weekend break. I just don’t understand why or maybe it’s what we are celebrating.
For the most part, all of the other holidays we celebrate make sense to me.
- MLK Day celebrates the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Washington’s Birthday (aka Presidents Day) celebrates the birthday of George Washington.
- Memorial Day remembers the soldiers who gave their lives for our country.
- Independence Day celebrates the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- Columbus Day celebrates the Christopher Columbus’ discovery of the Americas.
- Veterans Day honors all veterans of the US armed forces.
These holidays celebrate the life and accomplishments of key individuals in our country’s development or they remember our military.
As I understand it, Labor Day celebrates the accomplishments of workers and the labor movement. I’m not sure why, but it seems strange to me that we celebrate workers by NOT working. That aside, it’s the only holiday for a “movement”.
How about all the other movements we don’t celebrate? Is there an Anti-Nuclear Day in our future? How about a Save The Whales Day?
I don’t want to seem unappreciative of this holiday. For many people, it’s the only way they’d know that summer is over and it’s time to stop wearing white, but I still don’t get it. Maybe someone can explain it to me, but in the meantime I plan on enjoying the time with my family.
Hope you enjoy Labor Day.