By Jon Solomon
Over the years we’ve compiled a guide to help folks with planning a custom home. It’s over 20 chapters and covers topics such as Design Tips, Location Considerations, Sticking to a Budget and Picking a Builder.
If you’re like me, sometimes reading the end of a book can be a good way to start the story, so in today’s post, we’ll do just that. Our last chapter in the Custom Home Planning Guide is a checklist with tips and questions that you should ask any builder you’re interviewing. Actually, the last 4 chapters of the guide are all focused on how NOT to get burned by your builder.
While I’d love for you to choose Javic Homes as your builder of choice, I also understand you may want to interview a couple of others.
That’s OK. In fact, I’d recommend it. Building a brand new home is like a marriage (at least a 10 year relationship – that’s the amount of time builders are required to warranty parts of your home) and it’s best to thoroughly understand if a builder is the right fit for you.
Prior to meeting with all of our prospective clients I send them a list of tips and questions to ask me, or any builder they interview before the “courtship” begins. Below is what I send them. Pay particular attention to question #15. It may seem like a softball, but it will tell you a lot about the builder.
If you’d like to receive the entire Custom Home Planning Guide, CLICK HERE.
Home Builder Tips and Questions to Ask
The most important choice you will make on your new home is which building team to hire.
Designing and building your next home to meet your unique needs and style is a service that requires skill, creativity and experience. When interviewing potential home builders it is difficult for many people to truly assess a home builder’s ability to help them through the design and construction process.
Below is a list of tips and interview questions to help guide your selection process…
- Home building is a service industry – Not a product. A professional home builder is your partner and consultant in investigating design and construction options, plus their costs.
- Everyone says they do quality work so be a skeptic. Go see their work.
- The finished home is only as good as the design.
- Always call references to inquire about their experience.
Home Builder Interview Questions You Must Ask Before Selecting a Builder:
- How long have you been in business? Are you licensed and insured?
- Have you ever had any lawsuits or filed for bankruptcy?
- Do you have a professional designer(s) to help with space planning and selection?
- How do you ensure quality construction?
- How do you make sure that my home will be energy efficient, healthy and safe?
- Do you use the same trade subcontractors consistently or receive bids for the lowest price?
- What’s the time frame to build my home and how do you make sure we don’t exceed?
- Who will be my daily contact? How will they communicate with me?
- What warranties do you offer? Can I receive a copy of your warranty?
- How long have your key employees been with your company?
- How many homes have you built similar to mine?
- How do you ensure that I will not exceed my budget?
- What’s not included in your cost that I need to budget for?
- What is your change order policy?
- Why should I choose your company?
Tampa Bay’s Only Southern Living Custom Builder
Voted South Tampa’s #1 Home Builder by The Tampa Tribune